Can I blow your mind for a second?
Do you have a tennis ball nearby?
Grab that tennis ball and give it a hard squeeze.
That’s about the same amount of force your heart uses to pump blood through your body…
And it does that about 100,000 times a day (35 million times a year)!
Pretty wild, right? That’s a LOT of work!
This month we are all about showing your muscles some love – and that includes your heart.
Because heart disease is the #1 killer on the planet, it’s important to do your part to keep your heart healthy, starting now!
That said, here are 5 things you can start doing TODAY to protect your heart health:
1) Exercise most days of the week.
This one is so important it gets extra bullet points — here’s why:
It strengthens your heart so it becomes more efficient, allowing it to push out more blood with every beat (lowering your resting heart rate)
It boosts blood flow to your heart
It helps lower blood pressure by improving your blood vessels’ ability to dilate
It makes it easier for your muscles and tissues to get oxygen from your blood
It helps your nervous system manage stress even while you are resting
It’s as close to a “miracle drug” as you can get!
2) Eat a healthy, whole-foods-based diet that’s low in sugar and sodium, and rich in vitamins and minerals.
3) Limit alcohol. Just 2-3 drinks in one sitting can raise your blood pressure.
4) Stand up more. Research shows that sitting for extended periods isn’t good for your heart, even if you work out.
5) Go easy on the black licorice. Weird fact: it contains glycyrrhizic acid, which can raise your blood pressure even if you don’t have hypertension. Odd thing/fact about me, since I was a little kid I have had low blood pressure and always craved black licorice. Growing up in Montana, we could get black licorice ice cream and it was always my favorite. Still is, but I can’t find it. I didn’t even know back then why I wanted licorice all the time! 🙂
It’s the little things you do every day that add up to big fitness/health results!
That’s why I’ve included into my live classes a full body stretch and a strength and balance class. If you are new to working out or getting back into the swing of things, this is a great way to start off and if you are a seasoned exerciser, these are great additions to round out the body!
I would love to have you join us! Contact me below so that we can get you started this week!!